Websites are a must-have for the author who wishes to be successful in publishing today. But some authors still attempt to use social media alone to promote themselves and their work.
“Would we take any other business professional or entrepreneur seriously if they said ‘no’ to a website and depended on social?” ~Jane Friedman
For those who place all their marketing eggs in the social media basket, think of what happened to MySpace. Just over a decade ago, nearly everyone had a MySpace account, then nearly the entire socialsphere moved to Facebook, forcing professionals to rebuild their entire social following.
Social media is an excellent way to promote, however, it should always be supplemental to your author website and should be used primarily to drive traffic to your site in order to entice site visitors to sign up for your email marketing list, which is hands down your BEST selling tool!
Why authors need websites
When you submit a query or proposal to an agent or editor, one of the first things they will do is an Internet search. A professional author website shows you’re serious about marketing your writing.
An author website also gives fans a one-stop place to learn about new releases and get to know you better. When people feel as though they know you, they will begin to like you. And people are more likely to purchase from someone they like. In marketing, this is known as the Know-Like-Trust principle, and it’s true.
At Book Marketing Graphics, we have specially designed website packages with authors and small business owners in mind.
Think of it as websites for authors, by authors, because Linda Fulkerson, founder of BMG, is an author, too.
Want to see samples of sites built by Linda Fulkerson? Click on any of the links below:
All BMG Website Packages include the following standard features:
- All websites built by Book Marketing Graphics are built using the WordPress content management system and Genesis framework ($60 value)
- Premium mobile-responsive theme with your choice of four layouts, except for the starter package, which uses the blog layout. ($75 value)
- Basic WordPress plugin package (a set of plugins we install to enhance your site’s functionality.
- All our website packages includes FREE video-based training. You will receive a personalized walk-though video that explains how to use your site. ($100 value)
We have three packages* – depending upon where you are in your writing career and your budget.
- Starter – A blog-styled website that includes domain registration, blog page setup, one custom header graphic, 3 additional pages of client-provided content, plus all items described in the standard features, one domain-based email address, Security/Backup System – Includes a premium backup plugin as well as basic security setup ($150 value), and up to two edit cycles. Total value – Over $600!
- Professional – This is our most-popular package. It includes most features required to build an effective web presence, and is specifically designed for authors and speakers. The Professional website package includes all the items listed in the Starter package, plus the following:
- Professional Email addresses – up to 3 domain-based email addresses – these can be seamlessly forwarded to the email address you use now
- Lead Capture System – Integrate your website with our professional list-management service (powered by MailChimp). This includes creating a standard web form that coordinates with your website theme and list collection of up to 2000 names/emails. (Additional names can be collected at the rate charged by MailChimp.) This setup also includes assistance preparing the first 5 auto-responder emails and production of a PDF document created from client-provided content to be used as a give-away in exchange for reader email addresses. Suggestions are tip sheets, free book chapter, checklists, action plan worksheets, etc. A custom e-cover for your give-away is also included in this package. ($350 value).
- Blog Subscription Signup form – This is different than a lead capture system, but rather allows readers to request email updates whenever a blog post is published.
- Logo Design – The Enhanced Logo Design Package in included. See information about logo design packages here: https://bookmarketinggraphics.com/logo-design ($99 value)
- Branded Social Media Setup –Branded Facebook Business Page & Twitter profile graphics that coordinate with website, PLUS YouTube channel art and Google+ Page cover art. We will also complete the setup of your Facebook page for you to include linking to your Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, and we will connect your YouTube channel to your other social media sites and your website. ($150 value)
- GDPR Compliance – Includes a premium plugin to ensure your site meets all seven pillars of the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation.
- Google Analytics Setup – Includes a quick view widget right inside your admin dashboard so you can easily check your stats.
- NEW ITEM – This package now includes a FREE SSL Certificate, including installation and configuration.
- Total Value – Over $1400!
- Popular Add-ons:
- Promotional Video Book Trailer (Basic Slideshow style – $175 value) – Includes YouTube channel setup. (Note:See examples of our Slideshow Style video book trailers HERE.) You may upgrade** to the Enhanced or Premium video packages, if desired. JUST $75 extra when you purchase the professional website package. (Note: This item will be billed separately via a PayPal invoice.)
- Branded Media Kit ($129 value) – Includes author bio, book reviews, book blurb (sales copy), contact information sheet, author photo, book excerpt, and author one sheet. (Note: Client must provide information for content to include in the media kit.) Click HERE to learn more about branded media kits and view sample pages. JUST $50 extra when you purchase the professional website package. (Note: This item will be billed separately via a PayPal invoice.)
- Marketing Machine – The Marketing Machine package includes everything in the Professional package PLUS premium Search Engine Optimization. SEO is hands-down the BEST way to build long-term, perpetual traffic to your website. There are naysayers that proclaim SEO is dead, however professional marketers continue to use this method, because IT WORKS! The premium SEO includes on-page optimization for ALL pages, an XML Google Sitemap, Automated Pinging Setup, Keyword Research for three phrases, optimized content and ten hand-crafted backlinks for EACH of your three keyword phrases, PLUS a free training video that explains how to perform on-page optimization for your website. (Total value of Marketing Machine package – nearly $2000!)
*A one-year Hosting/Maintenance contract is required for all website packages and is not included in the purchase price. See the Hosting/Maintenance page for details.
**Upgrades will be billed separately via PayPal invoicing.